Re: ioremap_uc() followed by set_memory_wc() - burrying MTRR

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Wed Apr 22 2015 - 13:07:46 EST

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 09:53:03AM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Sorry, do you mean the driver already doesn't get WC? Or do you mean
> >> after some more pending patches are applied?
> >
> > No, you have to consider the system used and the effects of calls used
> > on the driver in light of this table:

> > MTRR Non-PAT PAT Linux ioremap value Effective memory type
> > Non-PAT | PAT
> > PAT
> > |PCD
> > WC 000 WB _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_WB WC | WC
> > WC 001 WC _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_WC WC* | WC
> > WC 010 UC- _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC_MINUS WC* | UC
> > WC 011 UC _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC UC | UC
> >
> > (*) denotes implementation defined and is discouraged
> >
> > ioremap_nocache() will use _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC_MINUS by default today,
> > in the future we want to flip the switch and make _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC
> > the default. When that flip occurs it will mean ipath cannot get
> > write-combining on both non-PAT and PAT systems. Now that is for
> > the future, lets review the current situation for ipath.
> >
> > For PAT capable systems if mtrr_add() is used today on a Linux system on a
> > region mapped with ioremap_nocache() that will mean you effectively nullify the
> > mtrr_add() effect as the combinatorial effect above yields an effective memory
> > type of UC.
>
> Are you sure?

Well lets double check.

> I thought that ioremap_nocache currently is UC-,

It is.

> so mtrr_add + ioremap_nocache gets WC even on PAT systems.

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.pdf

As per Intel SDM "11.5.2.2 Selecting Memory Types for Pentium
III and More Recent Processor Families" the ffect of a WC MTRR
for a region with a PAT entry value of UC will be UC. The effect
of a WC MTRR on a region with a PAT entry UC- will be WC. The
effect of a WC MTRR on a regoin with PAT entry WC is WC.

And indeed as per table 11-7 mtrr WC on PAT UC- yields WC. So ineed the above
table needs adjustment for this. So for PAT systems write-combing would be
effective with mtrr_add(), but once strong UC (_PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC) is used by
default for ioremap_nocache() what I mentioned will be true. Furhtermore if we
switch the drivers to use arch_phys_wc_add() then for sure write-combining will
also not be effective.

Jason, Andy, is the change still a reasonable compromise? We'd just be asking
users to boot with noat for users for ipath, ivtv until the drivers gets proper
PAT support with a split.

There are two motivations for this:

* help move to strong UC as default
* bury MTRR

> Going forward, when mtrr_add is gone, this will change, of course.

Indeed.

Luis