Re: [tip:x86/vdso] x86/vdso32/syscall.S: Do not load __USER32_DS to %ss

From: Denys Vlasenko
Date: Thu Apr 23 2015 - 07:06:32 EST

On 04/23/2015 12:44 PM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 12:26:43PM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>> Yes. It loads *selector*. AMD docs say that selector is loaded as you say,
>> but *cached descriptor* of SS (which is a different entity) is not modified.
>>
>> If *cached descriptor* is invalid, in 32-bit mode stack ops
>> will fail. (In 64-bit mode, CPU doesn't do those checks).
>
> So how can that happen with wine? Something's changing the cached
> descriptor ... ?

Yes. We know of at least one case where documentation
(both Intel and AMD) specifically states that %ss is set to NULL:
this happens on every interrupt and exception.

If interrupt/exception returns to the same task with IRET, all is well:
%ss is reloaded from iret frame (both selector and cached descriptor).

However, if interrupt results in a preemption, we end up in a different
task (say, Wine), and we can return to its userspace code
with SYSRETL. *This* type of return does not reload cached descriptor.

I don't know why it happens only with Wine. Maybe it just happens
with Wine much more easily than with other 32-bit tasks?