Re: git pull] drm for v4.1-rc1

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Thu Apr 23 2015 - 17:56:07 EST

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Your i915 does not have a ROM BAR in hardware. If the default video
> device has no ROM BAR, pci_fixup_video() sets IORESOURCE_ROM_SHADOW
> even though the resource flags are zero because the BAR itself doesn't
> exist.
>
> If IORESOURCE_ROM_SHADOW is set, pci_map_rom() assumes there's a
> shadow ROM image at 0xC0000. Is there a shadow image even if the
> device itself doesn't have a ROM BAR?

On UEFI systems, there's no special reason to believe that there's
anything at 0xc0000 - it depends on whether a CSM got loaded or not.
Everything is awful. So...

> int pcibios_add_device(struct pci_dev *dev)
> {
> if (dev-is-default-vga-device) {
> dev->rom = 0xC0000;
> dev->romlen = 0x20000;
> }

I don't know what we want to do here. This is, at some level,
fundamentally wrong - however, it also wouldn't surprise me if this is
also the only copy of the video ROM we have on some UEFI systems,
especially since I believe that Windows 7 still required that there be
a legacy ROM it could use for bootloader modesetting on UEFI
platforms. So simply making this conditional on BIOS may break
existing machines. But if there *is* a ROM there then we should be
able to id it from the usual video ROM signature?