Re: PCID and TLB flushes (was: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1)

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Tue Apr 28 2015 - 19:49:57 EST

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I think we can do it without that by keeping the mapping in reverse as
>> I sort of outlined -- for each cpu, store a mapping from mm to pcid.
>> When things fall out of the list, no big deal.
>
> So you do it by just having a per-cpu array of (say, 64 entries), you
> now end up having to search that every time you do a task switch to
> find the asid for the mm. And even then you've limited yourself to
> just six bits, because doing the same for a possible full 12-bit asid
> would not be possible.
>
> It's actually much simpler if you just do it the other way.

I'm unconvinced. I doubt that trying to keep more than 4-8 PCIDs
alive in a cpu's TLB is ever a win. After all, the TLB isn't that
big, and, if we're only the 7th most recent mm to have been loaded on
a cpu, I doubt any of our TLB entries are still likely to be there.

Given that, even if we need 16 bytes of generation counter and such in
the per-cpu array, that's at most 128 bytes. In practice, we really
ought to be able to get it down to closer to 8 bytes with some care or
we could only use 4 PCIDs, at which point the whole per-cpu structure
fits in a single cache line. We can search it with 4-8 branches and
no additional L1 misses.

Sure, with 64 entries this would be expensive, but I think that's excessive.

Also, this approach keeps the cost of blowing away stale PCIDs when we
need to invalidate a TLB entry on an inactive PCID down to a single
write as opposed to digging through the per-mm array to poke at the
state for each cpu it might be cached in. But maybe I missed some
trick that avoids needing to do that.

--Andy