Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: Harald Hoyer
Date: Wed Apr 29 2015 - 10:01:38 EST

On 29.04.2015 15:46, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Am 29.04.2015 um 15:38 schrieb Harald Hoyer:
>> On 29.04.2015 15:33, Richard Weinberger wrote:
>>> It depends how you define "beginning". To me an initramfs is a *very* minimal
>>> tool to prepare the rootfs and nothing more (no udev, no systemd, no
>>> "mini distro").
>>> If the initramfs fails to do its job it can print to the console like
>>> the kernel does if it fails
>>> at a very early stage.
>>>

>> Your solution might work for your small personal needs, but not for our customers.
>
> Correct, I don't know your customers, all I know are my customers. :-)
>
> What feature do your customers need?
> I mean, I fully agree with you that an initramfs must not fail silently
> but how does dbus help there? If it fails to mount the rootfs there is not
> much it can do.
>
> Thanks,
> //richard

We don't handcraft the initramfs script for every our customers, therefore we
have to generically support hotplug, persistent device names, persistent
interface names, network connectivity in the initramfs, user input handling for
passwords, fonts, keyboard layouts, fips, fsck, repair tools for file systems,
raid assembly, LVM assembly, multipath, crypto devices, live images, iSCSI,
FCoE, all kinds of filesystems with their quirks, IBM z-series support, resume
from hibernation, [â]

And no, this is not a simple minimal tool.