Re: Regression: Requiring CAP_SYS_ADMIN for /proc/<pid>/pagemap causes application-level breakage

From: Mark Williamson
Date: Wed Apr 29 2015 - 10:38:38 EST

Hi Andy,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Even though I've been accused (correctly?) of suggesting that, I'm not
> sure I like it anymore. Suppose I map some anonymous memory, learn
> its (scrambled) pfn, then unmap it and remap a setuid file. Now I can
> tell whether I've mapped the setuid file at the same pfn that was
> mapped as my anonymous memory. IIRC that's sufficient for one of the
> variants of Mark's attack.

In fairness, you may have mentioned it but it's entirely possible you
didn't originate the suggestion and I quoted out of context. Sorry
for implicating you ;-)

That's an attack that I hadn't considered when thinking about this
stuff. Zeroing the page frame numbers is an easier patch, so
arguments in favour of that are a happy answer as far as I'm
concerned!

Thanks,
Mark