Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: Martin Steigerwald
Date: Wed Apr 29 2015 - 14:28:58 EST

Am Mittwoch, 29. April 2015, 17:22:08 schrieb Harald Hoyer:
> On 29.04.2015 17:17, Austin S Hemmelgarn wrote:
> > On 2015-04-29 11:07, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> >> Most of the stuff does not work without udev and something like
> >> systemd.>
> > That's funny, apparently the initramfs images I've been using for
> > multiple months now on server systems at work which don't have
> > systemd, udev, or dbus, and do LVM/RAID assembly, network
> > configuration, crypto devices, multipath, many different filesystems,
> > and a number of other oddball configurations due to the insanity that
> > is the software I have to deal with from our company, don't work. I
> > wonder how my systems are booting successfully 100% of the time then?
> Then you should probably open source your initramfs, so we can all
> benefit from it and use it for all distributions.

Do you really think that the tooling will make that much of a difference?

I think there will always be cases where a initramfs will not work until
adapted to it. And then its nice, to be able to do things like this:

merkaba:~> cat /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/btrfs
#!/bin/sh

PREREQ="lvm"
prereqs()
{
echo $PREREQ
}

case $1 in
prereqs)
prereqs
exit 0;
esac

. /scripts/functions

log_begin_msg "Initializing BTRFS RAID-1."

modprobe btrfs
vgchange -ay
btrfs device scan

log_end_msg

How would I add support for some configuration that a systemd or purely
dracut + udev based initramfs does not support *yet*, on my own?

Yes, one can argue, why doesn´t Debian support it already, but heck, I can
do it myself and report a bug about it, without having to fire up a C
compiler in order to fix things. I may be able to do this myself, but at a
much higher cost in time.

Above thing works so long already that I even often forgot about it.

That said, if I still get a chance to execute a script at some time, a
dracut based initramfs may just be totally fine with it, but I want this
possibility and a shell to fix things up myself it they go wrong. And while
I do not get the need for having systemd in the initramfs at all, I might
be fine with it, if I can fix things up myself in case of problems.

Ciao,