Re: Regression: Requiring CAP_SYS_ADMIN for /proc/<pid>/pagemap causes application-level breakage

From: Mark Williamson
Date: Wed Apr 29 2015 - 14:45:09 EST

Hi all,

We've been investigating further and found a snag with the PFN-hiding
approach discussed last week - looks like it won't be enough on all
the architectures we support. Our product runs on x86_32, x86_64 and
ARM. For now, it looks like soft-dirty is only available on x86_64.
A patch that simply zeros out the physical addresses in
/proc/PID/pagemap will therefore help us on x86_64 but we'll still
have problems on other platforms[1].

For context, we were previously using pagemap as a cross-platform way
to get soft-dirty-like functionality. Specifically, to ask "did a
process write to any pages since fork()" by comparing addresses and
deducing where CoW must have occurred. In the absence of soft-dirty
and the physical addresses, it looks like we can't figure that out
with the remaining information in pagemap.

If the pagemap file included the "writeable" bit from the PTE, we
think we'd have all the information required to deduce what we need
(although I realise that's a bit of a nasty workaround). If I
proposed including the PTE protection bits in pagemap, would that be
controversial? I'm guessing yes but thought it was worth a shot ;-)
Would anybody be able to suggest a more tasteful approach?

Thanks,
Mark

[1] I'd note that using soft-dirty is clearly the right approach for
us on x64, where available and that ideally we'd use it on other
architectures - cross-arch support for soft-dirty is a slightly
different discussion, which I hope to post another thread for.