Re: ext2/3/4 performance issue

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Sun May 10 2015 - 17:56:16 EST

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 10:01:09AM +0200, Bernhard Kraft wrote:

> I work on implementing the ext2 filesystem for a PIC microcontroller and
> while reading the sources of it in the linux kernel I stumbled upon the
> following performance issue.....

Your observations are currect as far as ext2 is concerned; by the time
you get to ext4, it's a bit more complicated. Also, the
extN_bg_has_super() has in general not been a bottleneck, at least on
modern CPUs. Perhaps it would be more of an issue on a PIC
microcontroller, of course.

Finally, note that the overhead is cached so it is only calculated the
first time the extN_statfs() is called.

Cheers,

- Ted