Re: [RFC v3 20/45] richacl: Automatic Inheritance

From: Andreas GrÃnbacher
Date: Wed May 13 2015 - 17:15:57 EST

> Hmm. Just realized we may be talking about different things :-).
>
> In SMB/Samba the clients can create a file with no ACL, and
> the directory ACL is auto inherited. *That* we fake in
> Samba by creating then updating.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say in the commit message of this
patch. Samba will have to continue doing that.

> But in Windows there are the concept of "inherited" ACE
> entries, which can come from parents of parents of parents
> (etc.) objects.

Fair enough, even if from the child's point of view, all inherited
entries come from the direct parent no matter where the parent
has gotten them from.

> When a client modifies one of these on an
> upper level directory, the server doesn't do the auto
> updating that the vision of the file system might lead
> you to expect - that updating is done by a tree walk
> by the client.

Good, then we're on the same page.

Thanks,
Andreas