Re: [FYI] tux3: Core changes

From: Daniel Phillips
Date: Fri May 15 2015 - 05:54:43 EST

On 05/15/2015 01:09 AM, Mel Gorman wrote:

>>> Is this a bit like page migration?
>>
>> Yes. Page migration will fail if there is an "extra"
>> reference to the page that is not accounted for by
>> the migration code.
>
> When I said it's not like page migration, I was referring to the fact
> that a COW on a pinned page for RDMA is a different problem to page
> migration. The COW of a pinned page can lead to lost writes or
> corruption depending on the ordering of events.

I see the lost writes case, but not the corruption case, Do you
mean corruption by changing a page already in writeout? If so,
don't all filesystems have that problem?

If RDMA to a mmapped file races with write(2) to the same file,
maybe it is reasonable and expected to lose some data.

> Page migration fails
> when there are unexpected problems to avoid this class of issue which is
> fine for page migration but may be a critical failure in a filesystem
> depending on exactly why the copy is required.

Regards,

Daniel