Re: [ÍPATCHv5 00/12] usb: ulpi bus

From: Al Viro
Date: Fri May 15 2015 - 08:40:42 EST

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 12:31:36PM +0200, BjÃrn Mork wrote:
> Heikki Krogerus <heikki.krogerus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Hi Al,
> >
> >> How did you end up with that in subject lines? "[\u0344PATCH ", that is...
> >
> > I don't see anything like that in the subject lines? Is someone else
> > seeing it?
>
> Your subject lines are properly encoded utf8, starting with:
>
> =?UTF-8?q?=5B=CD=84PATCHv5=2004/12=5D=20
>
> The question is how you ended up using the three byte [Í instead of the
> more commonly used [ character? Both look identical on my screen, but I
> guess some email clients might have a problem decoding the first one.

No problem (in UTF8-supporting xterm), just a visible difference, triggering
"huh? how did that happen?" reaction... FWIW, looking at it with xmag now
shows this:
**
** ** **
**** **
******
**
**
**
**
**
**
**
**
**
**
**
******
which is sane enough for [ with this diacritic mark, so the things worked
as they ought to. I'm just curious - what had produced that in the subject
lines of this thread in the first place?