Re: perf.data file format specification draft

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri May 15 2015 - 09:18:45 EST

> > The quipper C++ parser is available at
> > https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/platform/chromiumos-wide-profiling/
> > Unfortunately this parser tends to be many versions behind and may not be able
> > to parse data files generated by recent perf.
> >
> If you tell me what is missing, I can talk to the ChromeOS people to
> get the support updated to 4.1.

they just need to try it and fix it until it works. And then retry
every three months when a new perf comes out.

Part of the problem is that programing style with excessive asserting.
If you add that many asserts you also need to keep up with the input data.
It's the opposite of "be liberal what you accept"

Right now it still bombs out for various records that newer perf adds.

I send some patches for autofdo to hack around that, but they were not quite enough:
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2015-04/msg00271.html

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.