Re: block_all_signals() usage in DRM

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Mon May 25 2015 - 17:32:03 EST

On 26 May 2015 at 00:59, Richard Weinberger <richard@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> drivers/gpu/drm/drm_lock.c is the only remaining user of block_all_signals():

It's the only user of it, ever. The API was introduced for the drm locking code.

No other user will ever exist. Just to clear up the an API exists with
one user, we should remove it.

> /* don't set the block all signals on the master process for now
> * really probably not the correct answer but lets us debug xkb
> * xserver for now */
> if (!file_priv->is_master) {
> sigemptyset(&dev->sigmask);
> sigaddset(&dev->sigmask, SIGSTOP);
> sigaddset(&dev->sigmask, SIGTSTP);
> sigaddset(&dev->sigmask, SIGTTIN);
> sigaddset(&dev->sigmask, SIGTTOU);
> dev->sigdata.context = lock->context;
> dev->sigdata.lock = master->lock.hw_lock;
> block_all_signals(drm_notifier, dev, &dev->sigmask);
> }
>
> Is this functionality still in use/needed?
> Otherwise we could get rid of block_all_signals() and unpuzzle the signaling
> code a bit. :-)

the functionality is still used, but only on legacy systems, if ABI is
something we care about.

I'll follow up to Oleg mail, just wanted to clarify why there isn't other users.

Dave.