Re: [GIT PULL v4 00/21] libnd: non-volatile memory device support

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Wed May 27 2015 - 20:42:45 EST

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 2:34 AM, Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rafael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

>>> No worries, we can address these concerns now...

>>> I noticed that bleeding-edge rebased from the last time I checked is
>>> that branch stable enough to use as a baseline?
>>
>> There is a separate acpica branch (called "acpica") that's not going
>> to be rebased. Please use that one.

>>> If I merge 'bleeding-edge' on top of v4.1-rc5 followed by this branch
>>> and do a "git log include/acpi/acuuid.h" then the full history from
>>> the 'bleeding-edge' branch shows up.
>>>
>>> I'm fine with doing the rebase, but I don't quite see the mess to
>>> which you are referring. Especially compared to the thrash of moving
>>> our test baseline.
>>
>> People will not be running your test baseline, mind you. They will be
>> running the product of merging that with other stuff and for example
>> the same change showing as two different commits in the history is not
>> a particularly clean thing.
>
> That's what -rc kernels are for, to test your development baseline
> against everything that came in during the merge window, i.e. when you
> know you have a solid development baseline to reference. Linus
> reprimands late rebasing for good reason.
>
> Really, we're going to rebase 13,000 lines of new functionality and 20
> patches to prevent recording some extra history around 200+ lines of
> header definitions? The history for those 200 lines being
> autogenerated from another repo. I struggle to resolve the risk
> benefit tradeoff of going this route... are you sure this is a hard
> gate for moving forward with this patch set?

And how much time is it going to take to rebase it, actually?

If all is so clean as you're suggesting, a "git rebase" should be
sufficient for that really. Is it not the case?

I do believe that having a clean history in the repository is
important, especially for big new and complicated features like this
one.

For the same reason I don't believe that rushing such features in no
matter what is the right approach.

If Jens decides to pull it regardless, it's his call, but I wouldn't
do that if I were him.

Thanks,
Rafael