Re: [tip:x86/cpu] x86/cpu: Strip any /proc/ cpuinfo model name field whitespace

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Thu May 28 2015 - 14:33:43 EST

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 09:57:15AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Why?!
>
> We are taking about 48 bytes run once per cpu. It isn't worth it to
> optimize, in fact the extra code size hurts more.

I wanted to save us the redundant copying of the exact same bytes.
Because when there's no preceding whitespace, p and q point at the same
thing so we end up doing *p = *p.

OTOH, without the optimization, the code is even simpler.

I can remove it if you wanna - I don't care all that much.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

ECO tip #101: Trim your mails when you reply.