Re: [RFC v3 36/45] NFSv4: Fix GETATTR bitmap verification

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Thu May 28 2015 - 17:55:32 EST

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:40 PM, Trond Myklebust
<trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:05 PM, Andreas GrÃnbacher
> <andreas.gruenbacher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Right. What is the actual problem or bug that this patch is trying to
>>> fix? Why do we care if a buggy server sends us extra info that we
>>> didn't ask for?
>>
>> I think we do care to correctly decode (and reject) well-formed but illegal
>> server replies. In this case, when switching to the next word of a bitmap, the
>> client doesn't check if the previous word has been completely "consumed" yet.
>> If any attributes are "missed", decoding the attribute values gets out of sync,
>> garbage is decoded, and the error may be missed.
>>

> We already do this kind of check with the existing code. What's wrong with it?

Actually, you're right, we don't check for the previous word, however
fixing that is a question of adding 2 extra checks in
decode_getfattr_attrs(), one in decode_getfattr_statfs(), and one in
decode_fsinfo().

It shouldn't require a rewrite of the entire nfs4xdr.c.

Trond