Re: [RFC] Moving unseen/inactive MAINTAINER M: names and email addresses to CREDITS

From: Laura Abbott
Date: Fri May 29 2015 - 11:39:13 EST

On 05/28/2015 12:59 PM, Joe Perches wrote:
On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 14:06 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2015 14:01:44 -0700 Joe Perches <joe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There are about 950 unique M: names in MAINTAINERS.

About 200 of those names haven't signed or authored a
single commit in 3+ years.

Any desire to shorten the MAINTAINERS entries and orphan
or delete those sections that that seem to have a single
apparently inactive maintainer?

Maybe 25 of those M: entries are actually email exploder
type uses that should likely stay listed.

Yes, I suppose we should clean this up. At present we're misleading
people about the likely outcome of their emails. And we're misleading
people (like me) who see the email and think "ok, someone's taking care
of that".

This is the list of maintainer names/sections that seem
not to have signed, authored or acked a commit in 3 years.

After some editing and additional grepping, I got 133 entries.

The grep patterns I used are imperfect.

For instance, the MAINTAINERS file has "Hideaki Yoshifuji" but
he doesn't ever sign anything that way. His signature is
"Yoshifuji Hideaki".

If anyone sees any obvious false-positives, please let me know.

I'll send a private email to all these people and see if they
want to be listed in the MAINTAINERS file and see what happens.

Here is the list two ways, alphabetic by name and by section

By Name:

Riley Andrews <riandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> ANDROID DRIVERS
I just saw patches from Riley this morning for the binder driver.
Riley took over as the binder maintainer when it moved out of
staging earlier this year.

Thanks,
Laura