Re: kernel/params.c: 'err' variable "set but not used" and perhaps should be?

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Fri Jun 05 2015 - 10:25:10 EST

Hello, Rusty.

On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 10:09:29AM +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:
> What will a second warning which is never triggered achieve? A bit of

How do you know that tho? Somebody may change something in the module
code, kernfs or sysfs and break something in an unexpected way. We've
always used BUG_ON() in __init functions to annotate things which
shouldn't fail.

> code bloat and confusion, when I really do want to ignore the value.

BUG_ON()s are very light weight, __init code gets dropped once done,
and this is an established way of annotating operations which aren't
expected to fail.

I'm having a hard time understanding the point of this thread. :(

Thanks.

--
tejun