Re: [-next] !irqd_can_balance() WARNINGs at irq_move_masked_irq()

From: Jiang Liu
Date: Fri Jun 19 2015 - 12:09:58 EST

On 2015/6/19 20:21, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jun 2015, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Jun 2015, Sergey Senozhatsky wrote:
>>> [ 0.412291] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 0 at kernel/irq/migration.c:21 irq_move_masked_irq+0x57/0xc4()
>>> [ 0.412371] Can't balance irq 0 [edge]
>>
>> Yuck.
>>
>>> Do you guys want to replace WAN_ON() with WARN_ONCE(), perhaps? This, of course,
>>> doesn't fix anything; but at least one can boot the system. (not really a patch,
>>> just an idea).
>>
>> Indeed. We really want to clear the move pending bit before the can
>> balance check. Patch below. But that does not explain why this happens
>> in the first place.
>>
>> Can you please send me a full dmesg, kernel config and output of
>> /proc/interrupts ? (Private mail is fine, or upload it to some place)
>
> Thanks for providing the data. I think I know what happens.
>
> Something in the kernel (not yet clear what) tries to move the hpet
> irq 0 by calling irq_set_affinity(). That's an kernel internal
> interface which does not check whether the NO BALANCE flag is set for
> the irq. So the call runs and triggers the move from next interrupt
> machinery which ends up calling irq_move_masked_irq() and that trips
> over the flag and yells.
>
> That's why I changed the WARN to a pr_warn() because we already know
> the call stack.
>
> So the core behaviour is inconsistent. We let the caller of
> irq_set_affinity() succeed and yell later because we think it's wrong.
>
> I'm pretty sure that we must drop the check for NO BALANCE in
> irq_move_masked_irq() and only check for the per_cpu bit, but at the
> same time I really want to know where that call to irq_set_affinity(irq0)
> is coming from.
>
> Can you please collect the output of /proc/timer_list for the previous
> patch and then replace the previous patch with the one below and
> gather all the data again?

Hi Thomas,
Maybe it's caused by the hpet driver itself?
irq_set_affinity() may set the IRQD_SETAFFINITY_PENDING flag,
thus triggering the warning.
static int hpet_setup_irq(struct hpet_dev *dev)
{

if (request_irq(dev->irq, hpet_interrupt_handler,
IRQF_TIMER | IRQF_NOBALANCING,
dev->name, dev))
return -1;

disable_irq(dev->irq);
irq_set_affinity(dev->irq, cpumask_of(dev->cpu));
enable_irq(dev->irq);

printk(KERN_DEBUG "hpet: %s irq %d for MSI\n",
dev->name, dev->irq);

return 0;
}
Thanks!