RE: [v4 08/16] KVM: kvm-vfio: User API for IRQ forwarding

From: Wu, Feng
Date: Wed Jun 24 2015 - 21:54:47 EST

When the vCPU sleeps, says, blocked when guest is running HLT, the
interrupt is still in posted mode. The solution is when the vCPU is blocked,
we use another notification vector (named wakeup notification vector) to
wakeup the blocked vCPU when interrupts happens. And in the wakeup
event handler, we unblock the vCPU.

Thanks,
Feng

> This would be different to the AMD version, where we have a
> running bit. When this is clear the IOMMU will trigger an event
> in its event-log. This might need special handling in VFIO
> ('might' because VFIO does not need to forward the interrupt,
> it just needs to make sure the VCPU wakes up).
>
> Please correct me if my understanding of the Intel version is
> wrong.
>
> So most of the data structures the IOMMU reads for this need to be
> updated from KVM code (either x86-generic or AMD/Intel specific code),
> as KVM has the information about VCPU load/unload and the IRQ routing.

Yes, this part has nothing to do with VFIO, KVM itself can handle it well.

> What KVM needs from VFIO are the informations about the physical
> interrupts, and it makes total sense to attach them as metadata to the
> eventfd.

When guest set the irq affinity, QEMU first gets the MSI/MSIx configuration,
then it passes these information to kernel space via VFIO infrastructure, we
need these MSI/MSIx configuration to update the associated posted-format
IRTE according. This is the key point for PI in term of VFIO.

Thanks,
Feng