Re: kdbus: to merge or not to merge?

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Thu Jun 25 2015 - 03:57:59 EST

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 9:12 PM, David Lang <david@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>>>
>>> counterexamples, devfs, tux
>>
>> What was tux?
>
> in-kernel webserver

Which was cool, and small, and _faster_ than anything else...
Until it was integrated, and people working on (userspace) webservers
started considering its performance as a target, and soon it was
out-performed by userspace webservers...

So it did teach us a lesson...

(Perhaps the above paragraph is actually good advocacy for integrating
kdbus, and for seeding a better userspace implementation? ;-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds