Re: Panic when cpu hot-remove

From: fandongdong
Date: Thu Jun 25 2015 - 06:49:27 EST

å 2015/6/25 16:11, Jiang Liu åé:
On 2015/6/18 15:54, fandongdong wrote:

å 2015/6/18 15:27, fandongdong åé:

å 2015/6/18 13:40, Jiang Liu åé:
On 2015/6/17 22:36, Alex Williamson wrote:
On Wed, 2015-06-17 at 13:52 +0200, Joerg Roedeljoro wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 10:42:49AM +0000, èåå wrote:
Hi maintainer,

We found a problem that a panic happen when cpu was hot-removed.
We also trace the problem according to the calltrace information.
An endless loop happen because value head is not equal to value
tail forever in the function qi_check_fault( ).
The location code is as follows:

do {
if (qi->desc_status[head] == QI_IN_USE)
qi->desc_status[head] = QI_ABORT;
head = (head - 2 + QI_LENGTH) % QI_LENGTH;
} while (head != tail);
Hmm, this code interates only over every second QI descriptor, and
tail
probably points to a descriptor that is not iterated over.

Jiang, can you please have a look?
I think that part is normal, the way we use the queue is to always
submit a work operation followed by a wait operation so that we can
determine the work operation is complete. That's done via
qi_submit_sync(). We have had spurious reports of the queue getting
impossibly out of sync though. I saw one that was somehow linked to
the
I/O AT DMA engine. Roland Dreier saw something similar[1]. I'm not
sure if they're related to this, but maybe worth comparing. Thanks,
Thanks, Alex and Joerg!

Hi Dongdong,
Could you please help to give some instructions about how to
reproduce this issue? I will try to reproduce it if possible.
Thanks!
Gerry
Hi Gerry,

We're running kernel 4.1.0 on a 4-socket system and we want to
offline socket 1.
Steps as follows:

echo 1 > /sys/firmware/acpi/hotplug/force_remove
echo 1 > /sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/ACPI0004:01/eject
Hi Dongdong,
I failed to reproduce this issue on my side. Some please help
to confirm?
1) Is this issue reproducible on your side?
Yes.
2) Does this issue happen if you disable irqbalance service on you
system?
Yes.
3) Has the corresponding PCI host bridge been removed before removing
the socket?
No, we will try to remove it before removing the socket later.
Thanks for your help, Gerry.

>From the log message, we only noticed log messages for CPU and memory,
but not messages for PCI (IOMMU) devices. And this log message
"[ 149.976493] acpi ACPI0004:01: Still not present"
implies that the socket has been powered off during the ejection.
So the story may be that you powered off the socket while the host
bridge on the socket is still in use.
Thanks!
Gerry

.