Re: [v4 08/16] KVM: kvm-vfio: User API for IRQ forwarding

From: Alex Williamson
Date: Thu Jun 25 2015 - 11:12:06 EST

On Thu, 2015-06-25 at 09:37 +0000, Wu, Feng wrote:

> [...]

So the trouble is that QEMU vfio updates a single MSI vector, but that
just updates a single entry within a whole table of routes, then the
whole table is pushed to KVM. But in kvm_set_irq_routing() we have
access to both the new and the old tables, so we do have the ability to
detect the change. We can therefore detect which GSI changed and
cross-reference that to KVMs irqfds. If we have an irqfd that matches
the GSI then we have all the information we need, right? We can use the
eventfd_ctx of the irqfd to call into the IRQ bypass manager if we need
to. If it's an irqfd that's already enabled for bypass then we may
already have the data we need to tweak the PI config.

Yes, I agree it's more difficult, but it doesn't appear to be
impossible, right? Thanks,

Alex