IDE Floppy support for IOMEGA Zip Drive broken in 3.16 -> 3.17 transition

From: Sergio Callegari
Date: Thu Jun 25 2015 - 16:59:21 EST

Hi,

I have an Iomega IDE Zip drive as in:

/dev/sda:

Model=IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy, FwRev=12.A, SerialNo=
Config={ SpinMotCtl Removeable nonMagnetic }
RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=unknown, MaxMultSect=0
(maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:500,w/IORDY:180}
PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3
AdvancedPM=no

* signifies the current active mode

ATAPI Direct-access device, with removable media
Model Number: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy
Serial Number:
Firmware Revision: 12.A
Standards:
Likely used: 4
Configuration:
DRQ response: <=10ms with INTRQ
Packet size: 12 bytes
cache/buffer size = unknown
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
DMA: not supported
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3
Cycle time: no flow control=500ns IORDY flow control=180ns
Removable Media Status Notification feature set supported
Security:
supported
enabled
not locked
not frozen
not expired: security count

supported: enhanced erase

Security level high

The drive used to work just fine up to 3.16. After a kernel upgrade, the
drive started giving issues. Some checks let me be sure that the issue does
not exist with 3.16 and exists with 3.17.

The problem manifests with IOWAIT all of a sudden jumping high (approx 50%)
and staying high, even with the Iomega Zip drive unmounted. When this
happens any activity having to do with the drive hangs (even hdparm -i
/dev/sda). No related message in syslog apart from the indication of hung
processes. Detaching the drive makes the machine behave properly.

What has changed wrt IDE in 3.16->3.17 transition? Why is the issue present
even when the drive is not used (unmounted)? How can I help diagnosing?