Re: Write throughput impaired by touching dirty_ratio

From: Mark Hills
Date: Thu Jun 25 2015 - 17:46:16 EST

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015, Michal Hocko wrote:

> On Wed 24-06-15 23:26:49, Mark Hills wrote:
> [...]
> > To test, I flipped the vm_highmem_is_dirtyable (which had no effect until
> > I forced it to re-evaluate ratelimit_pages):
> >
> > $ echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/highmem_is_dirtyable
> > $ echo 21 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
> > $ echo 20 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
> >
> > crash> rd -d ratelimit_pages
> > c148b618: 2186
> >
> > The value is now healthy, more so than even the value we started
> > with on bootup.
>
> From your /proc/zoneinfo:
> > Node 0, zone HighMem
> > pages free 2536526
> > min 128
> > low 37501
> > high 74874
> > scanned 0
> > spanned 3214338
> > present 3017668
> > managed 3017668
>
> You have 11G of highmem. Which is a lot wrt. the the lowmem
>
> > Node 0, zone Normal
> > pages free 37336
> > min 4789
> > low 5986
> > high 7183
> > scanned 0
> > spanned 123902
> > present 123902
> > managed 96773
>
> which is only 378M! So something had to eat portion of the lowmem.
> I think it is a bad idea to use 32b kernel with that amount of memory in
> general. The lowmem pressure is even worse by the fact that something is
> eating already precious amount of lowmem.

Yup, that's the ""vmalloc=512M" kernel parameter.

That was a requirement for my NVidia GPU to work, but now I have an AMD
card so I have been able to remove that. It now gives me ~730M, and
provided some relieve to ratelimit_pages; now at 63 (when dirty_ratio is
set to 20 after boot)

> What is the reason to stick with 32b kernel anyway?

Because it's ideal for finding edge cases and bugs in kernels :-)

The real reason is more practical. I never had a problem with the 32-bit
one, and as my OS is quite home-grown and evolved over 10+ years, I
haven't wanted to start again or reinstall.

This is the first time I've been aware of any problem or notable
performance impact -- the PAE kernel has worked very well for me.

The only reason I have so much RAM is that RAM is cheap, and it's a great
disk cache. I'd be more likely to remove some of the RAM than reinstall!

Perhaps someone could kindly explain why don't I have the same problem if
I have, say 1.5G of RAM? Is it because the page table for 12G is large and
sits in the lowmem?

> > My questions and observations are:
> >
> > * What does highmem_is_dirtyable actually mean, and should it really
> > default to 1?
>
> It says whether highmem should be considered dirtyable. It is not by
> default. See more for motivation in 195cf453d2c3 ("mm/page-writeback:
> highmem_is_dirtyable option").

Thank you, this explanation is useful.

I know very little about the constraints on highmem and lowmem, though I
can make an educated guess (and reading http://linux-mm.org/HighMemory)

I do have some questions though, perhaps if someone would be happy to
explain.

What is the "excessive scanning" mentioned in that patch, and why it is
any more than I would expect a 64-bit kernel to be doing? ie. what is the
practical downside of me doing:

$ echo 1073741824 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_bytes

Also, is VMSPLIT_2G likely to be appropriate here if the kernel is
managing larger amounts of total RAM? I enabled it and it increases the
lowmem. Is this a simple tradeoff I am making now between user and kernel
space?

I'm not trying to sit in the dark ages, but the bad I/O throttling is the
only real problem I have suffered by staying 32-bit, and a small tweak has
restored sanity. So it's reasonable to question the logic that is in use.

For example, if we're saying that ratelimit_pages is dependent truly on
free lowmem, then surely it needs to be periodically re-evaluated as the
system is put to use? Setting 'dirty_ratio' implies that it's a ratio of a
fixed, unchanging value.

Many thanks

--
Mark