Re: [GIT PULL 0/8] perf/pt -> Intel PT/BTS

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Tue Jun 30 2015 - 10:39:35 EST

Em Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 04:23:45PM +0300, Adrian Hunter escreveu:

> >> That is not entirely true. The message says "Run 'perf list' for a list of valid
> >> events" which will tell you if the event is valid. So you can tell the
> >> difference between a typo and unsupported event.
> >
> > Yeah, but my point is: why doesn't the tool do this disambiguation for me? Tools
> > are hard enough to use as-is already, no need to put artificial roadblocks in the
> > path of first time users.
>
> That applies to all events e.g.
>
> # perf record -e sched:sched_swotch sleep 1
> invalid or unsupported event: 'sched:sched_swotch'
> Run 'perf list' for a list of valid events
>
> usage: perf record [<options>] [<command>]
>
> -e, --event <event> event selector. use 'perf list' to list available events
>
> So it is a general problem.

Right, guess it is interesting to note at this point that Jiri improved
this area:

[acme@zoo linux]$ perf record -e sched:sched_swotch sleep 1
event syntax error: 'sched:sched_swotch'
\___ unknown tracepoint
Run 'perf list' for a list of valid events

usage: perf record [<options>] [<command>]

-e, --event <event> event selector. use 'perf list' to list available events
[acme@zoo linux]$

But:

[acme@zoo linux]$ perf record -e intel_pt// usleep 1
invalid or unsupported event: 'intel_pt//'
Run 'perf list' for a list of valid events

usage: perf record [<options>] [<command>]

-e, --event <event> event selector. use 'perf list' to list available events
[acme@zoo linux]$

I'll investigate how this can be improved...

- Arnaldo