Re: [RFC 0/8] Additional kmsg devices

From: Richard Weinberger
Date: Fri Jul 03 2015 - 07:21:55 EST

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Marcin Niesluchowski
<m.niesluchow@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> This series of patches extends kmsg interface with ability to dynamicaly
> create (and destroy) kmsg-like devices which can be used by user space
> for logging. Logging to kernel has number of benefits, including but not
> limited to - always available, requiring no userspace, automatically
> rotating and low overhead.
>
> User-space logging to kernel cyclic buffers was already successfully used
> in android logger concept but it had certain flaws that this commits try
> to address:
> * drops hardcoded number of devices and static paths in favor for dynamic
> configuration by ioctl interface in userspace
> * extends existing driver instead of creating completely new one

So, now we start moving syslogd into kernel land because userspace is
too broken to provide
decent logging?

I can understand the systemd is using kmsg if no other logging service
is available
but I really don't think we should encourage other programs to do so.

Why can't you just make sure that your target has a working
syslogd/rsyslogd/journald/whatever?
All can be done perfectly fine in userspace.

Just my two cents.

--
Thanks,
//richard