Feature request, "create on mount" to create mount point directory on mount, implied remove on unmount

From: jon
Date: Fri Jul 03 2015 - 08:16:00 EST

Hi, could I make a hugely nieve user request :-)

Would it be possible to add a new mount option to everything?

New mount option 'com' = "create on mount" (implied remove on unmount).

Example fstab entry
/mounts/amountpoint LABEL=notalwayshere ext4,com

# ls /mounts
# mount /mounts/amountpoint
# ls /mounts
amountpoint
# umount /mounts/amountpoint
# ls /mounts
#

The idea is to create a mount point directory (one level only) if does
not exist when an FS is mounted, umount would remove it when an FS is
unmounted (assuming it was empty) otherwise generate a warning.

As the 'com' flag would need to carried with the mount I assume the
logic would have to be handled in mount() and umount() call itself ?

I can see issues if the mount point directory is read only or similar,
but I am sure most cases could be handled with just a warning.

Many thanks,
Jon