Re: [git pull] vfs.git spurious ENOTDIR fix

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Aug 02 2015 - 00:42:52 EST

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 9:06 PM, Hugh Dickins <hughd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (I don't actually understand why the clearing of DCACHE_ENTRY_TYPE in
> dentry_iput() is not of continuing concern; but don't worry, there's
> plenty I don't understand - so long as you're both satisfied that
> it's not a concern, no need to persuade me.)

So dentry_iput() is only called as the dentry is being thrown away,
and is stale.

Yes, such a stale dentry can be seen by an RCU lookup, but the RCU
lookups should always revalidate things after the lookup, so it
shouldn't matter. The problem here was that there was a missing
revalidate of the RCU lookup for an error case, so the error that
_should_ have been a harmless race that got handled later by the
proper validation instead turned into a real user-visible error.

But we didn't use to clear the flags in dentry_iput, so before things
generally "happened to work" anyway, because this rare error case
didn't actually ever trigger in the first place.

(And I still don't think we necessarily *should* clear the flags in
dentry_iput(), but it really shouldn't be a correctness issue)

> Do we have any idea why a bug introduced in v3.13 should only now
> stand out, both for Dominique and for me? Has the RCU lookup somehow
> become much more effective recently?

So I do think that the clearing of the dentry flags exposed a
situation that was harder to hit before.

The fact that we now do RCU lookups even over symlinks probably does
end up widening the possibilities for this happening too, although as
you say, that shouldn't be very common during a kernel build.

Linus