Re: kdbus: to merge or not to merge?

From: Martin Steigerwald
Date: Thu Aug 06 2015 - 04:25:32 EST

Am Donnerstag, 6. August 2015, 10:04:57 schrieb David Herrmann:
> > Given that all existing prototype userspace that I'm aware of
> >
> > (systemd and its consumers) apparently opts in, I don't really care
> > that the feature is opt-in.
>
> This is just plain wrong. Out of the dozens of dbus applications, you
> found like 9 which are buggy? Two of them are already fixed, the
> maintainers of the other ones notified.
> I'd be interested where you got this notion that "all existing
> prototype userspace [...] opts in".

But these few can create the issues Andy described?

Sure, one can argue I can setup a stress or stress-ng command line invocation
as root user that will basically grind a Linux system to a halt â and in a way
I consider this to be a bug in the kernel as well, but one that exists since a
long time. But a GUI application running as a user?

How about some robustness regarding what you see as bugs in userspace here?

I think "The bug is not mine" is exactly the same language we have seen here
before. If the kernel relies on bug-free userspace applications in order to do
its job properly I think it has robustness issues. One certainly wouldnÂt want
this with any mission critical realtime OS. I think it is the kernel that
should be in control.

Thanks,
--
Martin