Re: make htmldocs on linux-next failed with warnings.

From: Ben Hutchings
Date: Thu Aug 06 2015 - 18:40:12 EST

On Thu, 2015-08-06 at 12:43 -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:31:59 -0600
> Jonathan Corbet <corbet@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 15:28:56 +0100
> > Ben Hutchings <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Yes it has warnings but they should be non-fatal.
> >
> > Even so, we don't really want to be adding warnings to the build.
> > Hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to fix these...?
>
> So I've not heard any further on this.

Sorry about that. I didn't forget about it but didn't have a good idea
how to fix it.

> I think at this point I'm going
> to revert the patch in question; adding warnings for everybody is just
> not the right thing to do. The other patches in the series can stay.

OK.

> Having spent some time pondering on the issue, I've also concluded that
> this isn't quite the right solution to the problem. Better, I think, to
> have docproc filter out the duplicates directly, and to direct the output
> to a different file type (.fxml, say). Otherwise the .xml files can have
> two different things depending on which type of docs was built first,
> leading possibly to other formats being built with missing stuff.
>
> I may hack together a solution along these lines, just because I do think
> that the reproducible builds goal is an important one. But I've got a
> *bunch* of other stuff that I have to get done, so I'm not quite sure
> when I can get to it.

I've now thought of another approach, which is to keep the duplicates
during the build process and de-duplicate when installing. I've just
sent a patch along those lines.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.