RE: perf probe -L sys_select or sys_poll

From: 平松雅巳 / HIRAMATU,MASAMI
Date: Tue Aug 11 2015 - 18:59:43 EST

Hi Arnaldo,

> From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo [mailto:acme@xxxxxxxxxx]
>
> Hi Masami,
>
> Have you noticed that sys_select or sys_poll stops after the
> first few lines? Please let me know if you need more info than is below.

OK, I'll see what is going.

> [root@zoo ~]# perf probe -L sys_select
> <SyS_select@/home/git/linux/fs/select.c:0>
> 0 SYSCALL_DEFINE5(select, int, n, fd_set __user *, inp, fd_set __user *, outp,
> fd_set __user *, exp, struct timeval __user *, tvp)
> {
> struct timespec end_time, *to = NULL;
>
> [root@zoo ~]# perf probe -L sys_poll
> <SyS_poll@/home/git/linux/fs/select.c:0>
> 0 SYSCALL_DEFINE3(poll, struct pollfd __user *, ufds, unsigned int, nfds,
> int, timeout_msecs)
> {
> struct timespec end_time, *to = NULL;
>
> [root@zoo ~]#
>
> I haven't investigated it too much, if there is some trouble that makes
> 'perf probe -L' to stop like that maybe we should warn the user somehow?

It seems a bug of -L, since it works correctly with fs/select.c:957.

$ ./perf probe -L fs/select.c:957
</home/mhiramat/ksrc/linux-3/fs/select.c:957>
957 SYSCALL_DEFINE3(poll, struct pollfd __user *, ufds, unsigned int, nfds$
int, timeout_msecs)
{
960 struct timespec end_time, *to = NULL;
int ret;

963 if (timeout_msecs >= 0) {
964 to = &end_time;
965 poll_select_set_timeout(to, timeout_msecs / MSEC_PER_SE$
966 NSEC_PER_MSEC * (timeout_msecs % MSEC_PER_SEC))$
}

969 ret = do_sys_poll(ufds, nfds, to);

971 if (ret == -EINTR) {
struct restart_block *restart_block;

So, something goes wrong when processing syscall functions.

Thanks!

--
Masami HIRAMATSU
Linux Technology Research Center, System Productivity Research Dept.