Re: [regression] x86/signal/64: Fix SS handling for signals delivered to 64-bit programs breaks dosemu

From: Stas Sergeev
Date: Wed Aug 12 2015 - 16:45:23 EST

12.08.2015 23:28, Andy Lutomirski ÐÐÑÐÑ:
On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
12.08.2015 23:01, Andy Lutomirski ÐÐÑÐÑ:
On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 12:55 PM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
12.08.2015 22:20, Andy Lutomirski ÐÐÑÐÑ:
current kernels, it stays switched. If we change this, it won't stay
switched. Even ignoring old ABI, it's not really clear to me what the
right thing to do is.
There can be the following cases:
- switch_userspace_thread() switches fs to non-zero selector
- switch_userspace_thread() switches the fs base via syscall
- switch_userspace_thread() switches fs in sigcontext
- switch_userspace_thread() switches fs_base in sigcontext (???)
What exactly case do you have in mind?
I'd say, the way x86_32 is doing things - is good, but the
bases... perhaps, in ideal world, they should be a part of
the sigcontext as well?
Any of the above. What do you want the kernel to do, and how does the
kernel know you want to do that? The kernel has to pick *some*
semantics here.
Assuming the bases are made the part of a sigcontext,
I'd say there would be no ambiguities remained at all:
whatever you change in a sigcontext, will be "applied" by
the sigreturn(). Whatever you put in the registers
(either segregs or MSRs), is valid until sigreturn(), then
forgotten forever.
The mess only comes in when some things are part of
sigcontext and some are not. But if you have _all_ things
accessable in sigcontext, then the user has a way of expressing
his needs very clearly: he'll either touch sigcontext or direct
values, depending on what he need.

Is this right?
Maybe, except that doing this might break existing code (Wine and Java
come to mind). I'm not really sure.
Yes, but that's why I was talking about some new
flag. Maybe a new sigaction() flag? Or something else that
will allow the user to request explicitly the new handling
where the things are all switched by the kernel. Then
the old programs that don't use that flag, will remain
unaffected. I realize this may be a lot of work... But please
note that there will be no more a chance like this one,
when things are already badly broken. :)

Anyway, can you give this and its parent a try:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/luto/linux.git/commit/?h=x86/sigcontext&id=83a08d8c3f43c5524ffc0d88c0eff747716696f5

If they fix the problem for you, I'll improve the test cases and send
them to -stable.
:(
Doesn't look pretty at all.
Of course I'll test it if you can't think of any alternative,
but do you really think explicitly requesting a new interface
will not be possible, and we'll have to live with work-arounds
and new problems like in the gcc tracker popping up once in
a while?