Re: ARM: gemini: clocksource update for 4.3 v2

From: Olof Johansson
Date: Thu Aug 13 2015 - 05:43:24 EST

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 10:09:02PM +0200, Hans Ulli Kroll wrote:
> Hi,
>
> these is version 2 of the clocksource updates for 4.3
>
> These patches are rebased on your arm-soc/for-next tree.
> latest commit e4c4ce53a925146167a58cfd2e862952cdc316e1
>
> arm-soc: document merges
>
> They is also a patch from Viresh Kumar in mach-gemini
> ARM/gemini/time: Migrate to new 'set-state' interface
>
> The other patches affecting clocksource are going through the
> clocksource tree.

Thanks, applied now!

> For the clocksource in general :
> I'm planning to move to DT. mach-moxart locks promising.
> Same CPU FA526 as mach-gemini.
> But they are two devices they can't moved easily to DT.
> - MISC global reg for differnt device settings
> - ethernet, up to 2 irq's, shared address space (bitfield)
>
> Don't ask me why the engineers have done this ...
>
> So I need DT in conjunction with (one) board file(s).
> Is this possible ??

It might be a bit messy to deal with a few things when you split between board
files and DT. In general you might be interested in looking at the syscon
bindings which tend to be used when there are "misc" registers on a SoC that
multiple drivers need to share.

See Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mfd/syscon.txt and other drivers and
platforms for examples of that.

-Olof