Re: get_vmalloc_info() and /proc/meminfo insanely expensive

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Aug 13 2015 - 15:50:22 EST

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 11:32 AM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Here's a totally untested patch (I'll reboot and test soon - it does
> > at least compile for me).
>
> Seems to work for me. Anybody want to object to the admittedly disgusting patch?

Rather than a time based approach, why not invalidate when it is known to
change, either on the next call to get_vmalloc_info() or as part of the
vmalloc operation itself? If the numbers don't change during your test,
this would seem better and I don't think any vmalloc() function is
intended to be hot.