Re: stop breaking dosemu (Re: x86/kconfig/32: Rename CONFIG_VM86 and default it to 'n')

From: Josh Boyer
Date: Wed Sep 02 2015 - 13:46:35 EST

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd be amenable to switching the default back to y and perhaps adding
> a sysctl to make the distros more comfortable. Ingo, Kees, Brian,
> what do you think?

Can you please leave the default as N, and have a sysctl option to
enable it instead? While dosemu might still be in use, it isn't going
to be the common case at all. So from a distro perspective, I think
we'd probably rather have the default match the common case.

As an aside, the "distros can use a sysctl" thing is kind of
misleading. The default should be the common case, and the sysctl
knobs should be for end users that wish to differ. That might not
sound like much of a difference from an upstream kernel perspective,
but it is. Having to install sysctl config files to get a proper
default set distro-wide, and then having the end users either remove
them or edit them is a lot of hassle from a distro perspective.

josh