Re: [regression] x86/signal/64: Fix SS handling for signals delivered to 64-bit programs breaks dosemu

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Wed Sep 02 2015 - 18:25:39 EST

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> 03.09.2015 00:39, Andy Lutomirski ÐÐÑÐÑ:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> 02.09.2015 22:06, Andy Lutomirski ÐÐÑÐÑ:

>>> dosemu needs 2 return pathes:
>>> 1. to DOS code
>>> 2. to 64bit code (dosemu is not all in a sighandler, right?)
>>>
>>> How it is currently achieved:
>>> dosemu1:
>>> 1. sigreturn() + iret (to DOS)
>>> 2. modify sigcontext -> sigreturn() (to 64bit asm helper)
>>>
>>> dosemu2:
>>> 1. sigreturn() + iret (to DOS)
>>> 2. modify sigcontext -> sigreturn() -> longjmp() (to 64bit C-coded)
>>
>> So you're modifying sigcontext such that it returns to a C function
>> that calls longjmp?
>
> Yes.
>
>>> How dosemu2 is supposed to do this:
>>> 1. sigreturn() (to DOS)
>>> 2. siglongjmp() (to 64bit C-coded)
>>
>> This should work fine on any kernel, right?
>
> 1 - not.
> 2 - maybe.
> If, as you say, siglongjmp() restores SS, I need to try it out.
> (there is also a problem that most siglongjmp() implementations
> are incompatible with sigaltstack(), but this is not what you can fix).

1 - definitely needs kernel changes. I was referring to #2.

2 - siglongjmp probably varies in its behavior across different libc
implementations. My point is that siglongjmp isn't a kernel-provided
thing.

>> For backwards compat, we either need the default behavior to be
>> unchanged, or we need the default behavior to be something that works
>> with existing dosemu. For existing dosemu, the only interesting cases
>> (I think) are signal delivery from *valid* 16-bit context, in which
>> case we need to preserve SS so that the signal handler can read it out
>> with mov ..., %ss, and sigreturn to 64-bit mode for the IRET
>> trampoline. For sigreturn, IIUC old dosemu will replace the saved CS
>> with a 64-bit code segment selector and won't touch the saved SS
>> because it doesn't know about the saved SS. Those dosemu versions
>> don't care what SS actually contains after sigreturn, because they're
>> immediately going to change it again using IRET. So we just need to
>> make sure we return without faulting.
>>
>> New dosemu2 would like to sigreturn directly back to 16-bit mode, so
>> it needs the kernel to honor the saved ss value and restore it,
>> possibly changed by dosemu.
>>
>> We obviously can't require old dosemu to set an SA flag to keep
>> working. But, if we can get away with it, I think it's somewhat
>> preferable not to require new DOSEMU to set an SA flag either.
>>
>> This has one major benefit at least: if new dosemu loads some random
>> library that installs some async signal handler (SIGALRM for example),
>> everything will work with regard to CS and SS.
>
> This case is covered if we do both things together: use
> your heuristic when SA_hyz is not set, and don't use it
> when its set. In this case dosemu2 will be able to request
> the proper SS delivery for its sighandlers, but the 3rd-party
> sighandlers will work too.
> I think we have never discussed the possibility of doing
> both things together, even though I have proposed it many
> times.
> After discussing this full-blown solution, we can think about
> reducing it, either by removing the heuristic or by removing
> SA_hyz, but discussing the full one would be nice too.
> Your opinion is likely that no one will use this SA_hyz in
> presence of the heuristic that "seems to work anyway".
> But in the light of extending it for TLS (with a new flag),
> I wouldn't be so sure. You can also document it as a
> needed flag when user code touches SS, and then it will
> be used. dosemu1 code that doesn't use it, will eventually
> be forgotten. So IMHO whether it will be used, is fully up
> to how will you market it. :)

I'll think about it. I'll think about FS and GS, too, although that's
still a longer-term thing.

--Andy

--
Andy Lutomirski