Re: futex atomic vs ordering constraints

From: Chris Metcalf
Date: Fri Sep 04 2015 - 13:26:24 EST

On 09/02/2015 05:18 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
For example, on x86, the locked instructions are obviously already
sufficiently strong, but even if they weren't, kernel entry/exit is
documented to be a serializing instruction (which is something
insanely much stronger than just memory ordering). And I suspect there
are similar issues on a lot of architectures where the memory ordering
is done by the core, but the cache subsystem is strongly ordered (ie
saen good SMP systems - so it sounds like tile needs the smp_mb()'s,
but I would almost suspect that POWER and ARM might *not* need them).

Because POWER and ARM have serializing kernel entry/exit?
I think tile has relatively conventional cache/memory semantics,
but it's certainly true there is implicit memory ordering guarantee
for kernel entry/exit.

--
Chris Metcalf, EZChip Semiconductor
http://www.ezchip.com