Re: X-Gene: Unhandled fault: synchronous external abort in pci_generic_config_read32

From: Jon Masters
Date: Sat Sep 05 2015 - 16:22:18 EST

On 09/05/2015 04:13 PM, Jon Masters wrote:
> On 08/11/2015 03:28 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

>>> Hi Bjorn,
>>>
>>> Are other cards that passed your test installed directly to the
>>> on-board PCIe slot?
>>> If yes, then this is a good data point and it will be useful to test
>>> the case where
>>> your Mellanox cards are directly installed into the on-board PCIe slot.
>>
>> The cards that passed the test were installed directly, with no
>> extender. We removed the extender from one of the machines with the
>> Mellanox card and have not seen this issue since then. I think it's
>> very likely that the problem is related to using the extender.
>
> If you're trying to use Mellanox cards in (for example) an APM Mustang
> like system with a PCIe extender card (for example a 90 degree angle
> adjustment for a low profile server case), you might want to ping me
> offline. I have procured a number of these over the past couple of years
> for my home lab and have found one that works (almost) reliably on that
> particular hardware platform and does 10G in my home lab.

Traveling for the holiday, but I guess it doesn't need to be a secret. I
think I have found some success with this one (but I have ordered many
different ones over the past year so will confirm next week):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H8VVD00?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Specifically, the fixed angle adapter brackets generally DO NOT work.

Jon.