[RFC] pwm: core: unsigned or signed ints for pwm_config

From: Olliver Schinagl
Date: Tue Sep 29 2015 - 03:19:41 EST

Hey Thierry, list

I'm going over the pwm core and notice that in the pwm header, duty_ns and period_ns is internally stored as an unsigned int.

struct pwm_device {
const char *label;
unsigned long flags;
unsigned int hwpwm;
unsigned int pwm;
struct pwm_chip *chip;
void *chip_data;

unsigned int period;
unsigned int duty_cycle;
enum pwm_polarity polarity;
};

However, pwm_config takes signed ints
int pwm_config(struct pwm_device *pwm, int duty_ns, int period_ns);

So digging a little deeper in the PWM core, I see that pwm_config dissallows negative ints, so having them unsigned has no benefit (and technically is illegal)
if (!pwm || duty_ns < 0|| period_ns= 0 || duty_ns > period_ns)
return -EINVAL;

and because (after the check) we cram the signed int into an unsigned one:

pwm->duty_cycle = duty_ns;
pwm->period = period_ns;

This could end up badly when using any unsigned int larger then INT_MAX and thus ending up with a negative duty/period. I haven't checked deeper if this is accounted for later, but would it be worth my time to convert all ints to unsigned ints? Since negative period and duty cycles are really not possible anyway?

Olliver