Re: multi-codec support for arizona-ldo1 was Re: System with multiple arizona (wm5102) codecs

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon Oct 12 2015 - 16:11:44 EST

Hi!

On Mon 2015-10-12 16:47:15, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:00:45AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> > Does this look like a step in right direction?
>
> > static const struct regulator_desc arizona_ldo1_hc = {
> > - .name = "LDO1",
>
> No, you definitely shouldn't be doing this - the regulator names should
> reflect the names the device has in the datasheet to aid people in going
> from software to the hardware and back again. They shouldn't be
> dynamically generated at runtime. If you need to namespace by
device

They already are, see wm831x-ldo.c .

> provide an interface which explicitly namespaces by device rather than
> hacking it into another interface, the usual thing is to use the struct
> device as the context.

I'll need some more help here. I need to use it from ALSA, so I don't
think I can influence that interface easily.

What is currently in tree _does not work_, as there are two arizona
chips, and two "LDO1" regulators. (Doable) suggestions how to fix that
are welcome.
Pavel