Re: [RFC v2 07/18] kthread: Allow to cancel kthread work

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Wed Oct 14 2015 - 13:30:51 EST

Hello,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 12:20:22PM +0200, Petr Mladek wrote:
> IMHO, it would be great if it is easy to convert between the
> kthread worker and workqueues API. It will allow to choose

Sure, keep the APIs similar so that they can be easily converted back
and forth but that doesn't mean kthread_worker should be as complex as
workqueue. Workqueue is *really* complex partly for historical
reasons and partly because it has to serve all corner cases. Please
make something simple which is similar enough to enable easy miration.
That amount of complexity simply isn't necessary for kthread_worker.

> PS: I am not convinced that all my concerns were non-issues.
> For example, I agree that a race when queuing the same work
> to more kthread workers might look theoretical. On the other
> hand, the API allows it and it might be hard to debug. IMHO,

There are big differences in terms of complexity between ensuring
something like the above working correctly under all circumstances and
implementing a warning trap which would trigger well enough to warn
against unsupported usages. These are active trade-offs to make and
not particularly hard ones either. Let's please keep kthread_worker
simple.

Thanks.

--
tejun