Re: Problems with printk logs and my driver

From: Eric Curtin
Date: Wed Oct 14 2015 - 18:34:06 EST

On 4 October 2015 at 16:28, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2015, Eric Curtin wrote:
>
>> Ok so for the fun of it, I changed the VENDOR_ID and DEVICE_ID of my
>> keyboard to use the driver for this samsung Wireless keyboard and
>> mouse, crazy I know since I have a different piece of hardware, but I
>> wanted to see what happens or at least does it change driver. When I
>> reboot to this kernel, my keyboard still uses the usbhid driver. Why
>> does this happen?
>
> Because the Samsung wireless keyboard and mouse also use the usbhid
> driver. Besides, the choice of driver depends just as much on the
> bInterfaceClass, -Subclass, and -Protocol as on the vendor and product
> IDs.
>
> Basically, nothing needs to use usbkbd. Anything that driver can
> handle will also work with usbhid. The only reason for keeping usbkbd
> as a separate driver is because it is smaller than usbhid, so it's
> better suited to some embedded applications with limited memory.
>
> Alan Stern

After looking at this again today, I cannot reproduce the problem anymore.
I took out the battery on this keyboard and put it back in and the issue
is now not reproducible. Pity, I was hoping to get to the bottom of this
one.

It works in X but not in console mode. I tried another one and it had the
same result, it's a more standard usb keyboard.