Re: next build: 235 warnings 3 failures (next/next-20151117)

From: Will Deacon
Date: Wed Nov 18 2015 - 10:36:44 EST

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 03:21:19PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> [...]

Yeah, I wasn't pretending it was nice :) FWIW, I've given it a reasonable
testing in both little-endian and big-endian configurations and it seems
to be happy.

> Do all the lda variants zero extend to 64 bits ?

Yes.

> If so maybe you could use a single 64 bit variable for the result of the read
> and then cast it to typeof(*p) to get the required sign extension for
> small integer types.

That was the original proposal from Arnd, but I want this to work with
structures smaller than 64-bit (e.g. arch_spinlock_t), so that's why
I decided to follow the approach laid down by READ_ONCE.

Will