Re: perf BPF/elfdep intermitent build problems

From: Wangnan (F)
Date: Wed Nov 18 2015 - 21:22:11 EST

On 2015/11/19 9:24, Wangnan (F) wrote:

On 2015/11/19 6:44, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
Have you guys ever saw this?

[acme@zoo linux]$ alias m
alias m='perf stat -e cycles make O=/tmp/build/perf -C tools/perf
install-bin'
[acme @zoo linux]$ m
make: Entering directory '/home/git/linux/tools/perf'
BUILD: Doing 'make -j4' parallel build
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'fixdep'.
CC /tmp/build/perf/util/machine.o
LD /tmp/build/perf/util/libperf-in.o
No libelf found
BPF API too old

This error message means the kernel header in rootfs is too old,
causes tools/build/feature/test-bpf.c failed to be built.

Strange... even in feature detection it should check BPF API through
kernel source where you are using to build perf...

I guess you are not using NFS or share it with other people?

Makefile:191: recipe for target 'elfdep' failed
make[2]: *** [elfdep] Error 255
Makefile:194: recipe for target 'bpfdep' failed
make[2]: *** [bpfdep] Error 255
Makefile.perf:434: recipe for target '/tmp/build/perf/libbpf.a' failed
make[1]: *** [/tmp/build/perf/libbpf.a] Error 2
LD /tmp/build/perf/libperf-in.o
Makefile:87: recipe for target 'install-bin' failed
make: *** [install-bin] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/home/git/linux/tools/perf'

Performance counter stats for 'make O=/tmp/build/perf -C tools/perf
install-bin':

10,265,920,369 cycles

3.002799545 seconds time elapsed

[acme@zoo linux]$

If I go and try doing a clean on the libbpf dir I see another problem:

[acme@zoo linux]$ cd tools/lib/bpf
[acme@zoo bpf]$ make clean

Auto-detecting system features:
... libelf: [ OFF ]
... bpf: [ OFF ]

CLEAN libbpf
CLEAN core-gen
[acme@zoo bpf]$

No need for feature detection when doing a plain 'make clean', right?

Right. It should be

$ cd tools/lib/bpf
$ make clean
CLEAN libbpf
CLEAN core-gen
$

After cleaning can you trigger this problem again?

But then, after cleaning it again, and entering tools/perf to do a 'make
clean' as well, it does the feature detection at a second 'make clean'
and this time it shoes [ on ] for both libelf and bpf, and this time
I manage to build perf.

This is all intermitent, will eventually try to drill down if you don't
fix it first

First let me try to trigger it in my environment...

Thank you.

- Arnaldo