Re: MPT2SAS boot fail... due to silently loosing the driver

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Nov 24 2015 - 03:04:38 EST

* Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I wonder what the "classic" way to such transitions is. Adding a mpt2 option
> that just selects mpt3 sound easy, but might be very confusing.

I was hit by the same problem, and wasted some time on it before Peter did his
time wasting, so a solution would be nice.

An interactive SCSI_MPT2SAS option has to exist in any case, so that we can
migrate those people who have it configured - and its help text should explain
that it's a legacy setting that should not be used anymore. That won't be
confusing.

Then the MPT3 section can do something like:

# Default to enabled if the config has the old driver enabled:
default y if SCSI_MPT2SAS

Doing this will also help bisectability: right now we cannot bisect on that system
without figuring out whether to enable MPT2 or MPT3 at every single bisection
step.

Don't ever break configs this way. Please!

Also, please pick hardware version invariant names - do we want to go through this
again when MPT4 is introduced?

Thanks,

Ingo