Re: [char-misc-next v2 7/7] watchdog: mei_wdt: re-register device on event

From: One Thousand Gnomes
Date: Fri Dec 18 2015 - 13:15:14 EST

> > That breaks the existing behaviour of hot pluggable watchdog interfaces
> > and is different to just about any other device in the kernel. Today with
> > any desktop or server distribution you can already trivially arrange for
> > watchdog daemons to start at the point a watchdog is detected dynamically.
> >

> Ok, you have a point. Wonder if any distributions are doing that, though.
> Any idea ?

I don't know for any of the out of the box mainstream ones.

There is a second problem if you register the watchdog but don't actually
have it enabled. Consider the case where a user has the mei watchdog
disabled and a more advanced watchdog card plugged in - in that case the
naÃvely implemented existing watchdog app may bind to the non-functional
watchdog, not the correct one.

Alan