Re: Rethinking sigcontext's xfeatures slightly for PKRU's benefit?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Dec 18 2015 - 16:04:34 EST

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IOW, I like my idea in which signal delivery always sets PKRU to the
> application-requested-by-syscall values and sigreturn restores it.

So I don't mind that, as long as the whole "sigreturn restores it" is
part of things.

Your original email with the suggestion to *not* resture PKRU I didn't
like. Setting it and restoring it is fine.

I do wonder if you need an explicit value, though. I think it's
reasonable to say that PKRU value 0 is special. It's what we'd start
processes with, and why not just say that it's what we run signal
handlers in?

Would any other value ever make sense, really?

Linus