Re: overriding ACPI _CRS method

From: Jon Masters
Date: Mon Dec 21 2015 - 02:59:47 EST

On 11/29/15, 10:23 PM, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Zheng, Lv <lv.zheng@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

IMO, if you want the new _CRS to be applied during the Linux early
boot stage, you can override the table using initrd override or DSDT
override mechanism.
Please see Documentation/acpi/initrd_table_override.txt or
Documentation/acpi/dsdt-override.txt.

If you want the new _CRS to be applied during Linux runtime, you can
override it using method customization mechanism.
Please see Documentation/acpi/method-customizing.txt

The reason I'm trying to adjust this in firmware, is to deliver the
right behaviour with pre-built/distro kernels, so I can't use that
approach.

The initrd method prepends an override initrd so you can use the stock distro one (obviously any such modification might impact whether a system vendor will support you in any case). This is in fact why I use an initrd override method on ARM servers to test ACPI fixes.

The other option you have is to use the "acpi" command in GRUB to provide an override set of tables pre-OS boot. Depending upon your OS, you might need to regenerate your (dracut) initramfs with that via the GRUB configuration file(s).

Jon.